Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Letters For People Who Need Them

An excerpt from my notebook,

"Here's an idea: letters for people who need them.

The letters are addressed, "To Someone Who Needs [insert theme]," and left out in the world.  Will it reach someone who needs it?  I hope so.  An example may be: To Someone Who Needs Balance. 

At the heart of this project is that these letters are probably letters I wish someone would write to me.  Such as, when I came up with this idea I was feeling a like my life has been rather unbalanced lately.  In the end I hope that connections are made and this large world wont seem so overwhelming.

It can be lonely out there.  You should write to someone.  It can be e-mail, snail mail, text, IM, hand-written, typed, smoke signals, or whatever works best for you."

What I hope to do is this very simple idea.  It is inspired by my friends that have a passion for hand-written letters, my own need to share personal aspects of my life in an artistic way, and mARK oWEns' puddle poems (he puts poems in puddles, it's pretty cool).  This idea is simply to write letters for someone and leave them out in the world for that someone to stumble upon.  Will it reach someone who needs it?  I hope so. 

That said, if you come across such a letter, please share your experience having come across it.  Also, I'm going to set up a kickstarter for this project in the hopes that I'll be able to expand this idea, or at the very least pay for paper, pens, envelopes, and maybe a real website. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment